The new member program application process is now closed. The deadline to submit completed applications is June 21, 2019. Please note: this is for program applications only, this is not for prospective fellows. Applicants applying for fellowship positions should visit the Applicants for Fellowship section.
To be a member of the Fellowship Council, a program must meet the following minimal requirements:
- Each member’s fellowship must be a clinical fellowship at least one year in duration and must include a research component
- Each member’s program must adhere to the application and matching process deadlines and guidelines
- Each member must pay its membership dues by the designated date
- Each member must participate in the accreditation process following the initial new member site visit
- Each member must integrate an articulated curriculum with goals and objectives
- There must be a written quarterly evaluation of the fellow (Fellowship Council assessments are required)
- There must be a quarterly operative assessment of the fellow (Fellowship Council assessments are required)
- There must be a written quarterly evaluation of the faculty (Fellowship Council assessments are required)
- There must be evidence of scholarly activity. Fellows must submit at least one clinical and/or research project during the fellowship to a National or Regional Society meeting or journal. The research project need not be accepted for presentation by the conference or for publication in the journal to which it was submitted.
- The fellowship program should be designed such that transition to independent practice is emphasized.
- The fellowship Program Director must have been at the applying institution for at least one year and must be at minimum 3 years out of fellowship training at the time of the application.
- The program is required to have both an Associate Program Director and Designated Institutional Official (DIO)
- A site visit for all new member applicants is required as part of the application process. A Membership Committee member will conduct a physical site visit and will expect to interview the Program Director, Associate Program Director, Program Director of the General Surgery Residency at the same institution (if applicable), Chair or Chief of Surgery, DIO (Designated Institutional Official) if different than Chair of Surgery, Representatives of the teaching faculty of the fellowship, a chief resident(s) in Surgery of the associated surgical training program at the institution (if applicable), and a Current fellow(s) (if applicable). A tour of the facility should also be planned. The site review should take no less than four hours and no more than one day. The cost of the site visit is $2200.
Prior to applying, Program Directors must review the following to ensure that they will be able to meet Fellowship Council criteria for the type of fellowship for which they are applying:
- The Fellowship Council Program Guidelines
- To access the Fellowship Council Specific Fellowship Type Curricula and Program Requirements, click here. NOTE: For the update on the dual accreditation designations for the 2020-2021 Fellow Year and Beyond, click here.
New programs applicants are also strongly encouraged to review the following:
New member applications are reviewed by the Fellowship Council Membership Committee and the Board of Directors. If approved, member dues for new members are $2000 for the first year, and will be $1200 thereafter.
Please note that the Fellowship Council and the Foundation for Surgical Fellowships are two independent entities. Programs must apply for funding separately via the Foundation for Surgical Fellowships site.
To be added to the notification list for when the new member program application process opens, email your name, institution, email address, and phone number to email@example.com.