The new member program application process is now closed and will re-open this fall. Please note: this is for program applications only, this is not for prospective fellows. Applicants applying for fellowship positions should visit the Applicants for Fellowship section.
To be a member of the Fellowship Council, a program must meet the following minimal requirements:
- Each member’s fellowship must be a clinical fellowship at least one year in duration and must include a research component
- Each member’s program must adhere to the application and matching process deadlines and guidelines
- Each member must pay its membership dues by the designated date
- Each member must participate in the accreditation process 6-7 months into the first Fellowship Council matched fellow’s year
- Each member must integrate an articulated curriculum with goals and objectives
- There must be a written quarterly evaluation of the fellow
- There must be a quarterly operative assessment of the fellow
- There must be evidence of scholarly activity. Fellows must submit at least one clinical and/or research project during the fellowship to a National or Regional Society meeting or journal. The research project need not be accepted for presentation by the conference or for publication in the journal to which it was submitted.
- The fellowship program should be designed such that transition to independent practice is emphasized.
- The Program Director must have been at the applying institution for at least one year and must be at minimum 3 years out of fellowship training at the time of the application.
- The program is required to have both an Associate Program Director and Designated Institutional Official (DIO)
Prior to applying, Program Directors must review the following to ensure that they will be able to meet Fellowship Council criteria for the type of fellowship for which they are applying:
New programs applicants are also strongly encouraged to review the following:
Please note that the Fellowship Council and the Foundation for Surgical Fellowships are two independent entities. Programs must apply for funding separately via the Foundation for Surgical Fellowships site.
To be added to the notification list for when the new member program application process opens, email your name, institution, email address, and phone number to firstname.lastname@example.org.